January 17, 2011

lee rhodes: glassybaby (seattle, new york city, online shop)

photos by glassybaby and yours truly

“It began with a light of hope.” 


the glassybaby story began in founder Lee Rhodes garage in 1998 while she was battling a rare form of lung cancer. Today, she is cancer-free and oversees a thriving business with 4 retail locations and an eye towards expansion. The experience with cancer never left her however. The company's foundation and mission - glassybaby goodwill - exists to this day, donating a substantial percentage of sales each year to cancer-related charities, along with several others dedicated to improving health and providing comfort. 


My own story began on my birthday three years ago. I unwrapped a birthday present from a friend – a small, sturdy white box with a simple, lovely name printed in green: glassybaby. I remember thinking as I removed my beautiful orange votive from the box that I had never seen anything quite like it. I still haven’t. 


If you're looking to begin your own glassybaby story, or add to an already growing collection, you're in luck. The glassybaby seconds sale is coming up! Mark your calendars for Saturday, January 22nd and prepare to get up early. An extremely popular event (it happens only twice a year) the seconds sale allows you to get your hands on glassybaby's at a discounted price. Held exclusively at the Madrona shop, the doors open at 10am. But you'll want to queue up much, much earlier. Bring a box, lighter, tea lights, patience, and cash (the cash-only line moves faster!)


Getting married, throwing a party or looking for a morale event idea? glassybaby has an event rental program and they also rent out their Madrona store. For more information contact their events team.

Thank you Lee and team for sharing your story.


Shine a light.
visit the glassbaby website
follow glassybaby on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited Staci - I'll put it on my blogroll. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete